Monday, July 30, 2012

My Inspired Crafts

Long time, no blog, fellow bloggers.


Sorry, I have been out of commission for a while, I have been attending several New Teacher meetings. Fortunately for me, these meetings gave me multiple ideas for new posters for my classroom.  On Thursday (July 26th), I had the privilege to hear a speaker by the name of Chelonnda Seroyer (Harry Wong's protege!). In this workshop, we talked a lot about classroom management and procedures.  This is what led to my making these 3 posters to put up in my room.  Without the guidance of this workshop, I would still probably be searching for ideas.


Any-who, here are the photos along with an explanation of how they work:







To begin, I decided to make a poster that showed the expectations I have of the students while others are speaking.  This is a system wide expectation and if explained during Reading Workshop throughout Hamilton Count.  Acronyms are easy for students to remember, which makes this one a no-brainer.  Not only will I explain this poster on our first day or two of Reading Workshop, I will also be referencing this throughout the year.







Before the workshop, I hadn't even thought of having my students use hand signals.  While I had heard of them before, I never really considered using them in my room. After speaking with my fellow new teachers as well as hearing from Chelonnda how great they work, I decided to give them a shot.  When using these, the students do not have to talk out while I am teaching.  they simply, give the signal and I say "yes," "no," or "wait til later."







This poster was definitely going to be a must in my room.  Students often time find themselves searching aimlessly for "What's Next" when they finish an assignment.  After going over these options with the students (along with having them posted), every child should understand what are feasible options for transition activities.










I had NEVER even thought about needing hall passes. However, the more we talked about it, the more I realized I needed them.  That way, I can track if someone is missing by the missing pass.  Also, I have a small whiteboard where the students will sign in and out on when leaving the room (sorry, no picture for this one!)
















Now, I hope you have enjoyed seeing the crafts that I have done thus far.  I am not the craftiest of the bunch, so these are superb for my capabilities.  


See ya next time, bloggers!


-AR

1 comment: