Wednesday, August 1, 2012

It's almost here!

Hello, All!


Well, I decided to take my last day before school begins for teachers away from school and post something else about the construction of the Rock star room. On Monday, I was able to finish up a lot of what I wanted to get done before school started. Although it isn't completely done, I believe what I have done so far is great for starting off the year right.


Here are some photos and explanations of my successful Monday:






 All classrooms need a good word wall in order to post words the students are focusing on in certain content areas.  From what I have gathered through my New Teacher meetings is that math and reading devote the most attention to words for the word wall.  










This bulletin board was constructed solely for the purpose of posting outstanding work from the students.  Goin along with the theme of Rockstars, I chose to title the wall 'Rockstar Swag." I thought the students might get a kick out of this since swag is a "happenin" term. :)









Next, I knew I needed to finalize my voice levels board before I could go further. This one still needs some work. I am not totally sold on using the sentence strip holders for the Noise-O-Meter. I may just post it on a poster board instead. I haven't totally figured it out....






THIS, however, I am in love with. Posting objectives for different subjects is a must-have in an effective classroom.  After seeing this concept used from a teacher (whom I adore), I knew this would be a no-brainer. The sentence strips are wet erase, so I can reuse them. Conservation, people... Conservation.











This is my cute little "everything" station.  Once I get a label maker, the drawers will be labeled with different subjects and tasks so the students have a drawer for turning in work.


The top of the "everything" station holds the contents which makes me name is the "everything" station.  I have a whiteboard titled "Who's Out" in which students will sign in and out on whenever they leave class, accompanied by the homemade hall passes.  Also, the sharp and dull pencils along with the pencil sharpener are positioned on the front.  On the back of the station are the contents used for updating the calender. As you can see, this station holds everything.





Now, on to my favorite part of the room, the reading nook. I finally obtained rugs and got all of my book boxes labeled. This will be a cozy area for the students to read and write during the different workshops. If I could teach here all day with my kiddos, I totally would.





These are the labeled book boxes. I put my books in genres, collections, and levels (just leveled readers put together). This way, when either myself or my students are looking for a certain book,  they will know where to find it by the box it belongs to.






Here I have my chapter books and miscellaneous picture books for students to look through as well. I didn't want to sort all the books because I wanted to give the students the option of trying something new without a label if they wanted to.












OVERALL, Monday was a great, successful day in the classroom. I was able to accomplish a lot of what I wanted to accomplish. I also moved the desks to a different setup for the first few weeks. It will make it easier to figure out the students names and figure them out as people; then we will move to pods.




Thanks for reading up on my progress. I appreciate all of the views I have had so far.


Until next time,
-AR

3 comments:

  1. Your room looks cozy and inviting. You've done a great job.
    One suggestion for name tags is to put magnet dots on their name plates and place on desk so that it is facing you. That will help you learn their names more quickly and you can move them around easily.

    See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I actually have magnetic name plates that I am going to use. I found them at School Box!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so hip with your "happenin'" terms. Rock on, Roach! :)

    ReplyDelete